Visitors to Hong Kong are encouraged to see the glamorous side of the city — attractions like The Peak, Victoria Harbour and Big Buddha. However, tourists are not told that here 1.5 million people live in poverty, putting Hong Kong among the most unequal places in the world.
This tour aims to give an understanding of Hong Kong’s capitalist system, including seeing a coffin home in one of the city’s poorest districts. In it you will see the contrast between the economic prosperity that seems so abundant in Hong Kong — and the grim reality many of her people face.
Starting Time: 2pm
Meeting Point: Outside Mong Kok MTR Station Exit B3 (**NOT Mong Kok EAST Station**)
Find Us: Find a yellow T-shirt/jacket with ‘The Hong Kong Free Tours’
Fee: Due to COVID-19, the original tip-based free tour is now operated as paid tour. Guests will be charged a fixed fee of 250 HKD per head.
Reservation: Only guests with reservation will be able to join the tour.
Ending Time & Point: 4:00pm near Sham Shui Po MTR station Exit C2
– Goldfish Market: Cost of rent on this street
– Prince Edward Station: Housing affordability in Hong Kong compared to other countries
– Cedar Street: Visiting a subdivided unit in Prince Edward
– Tai Nan Street: How Hong Kong runs its capitalist system with low tax rates
– Boundary Street: Hong Kong’s minimum wage, coffin house and cage house
– Hai Tan Street: Urban Renewal Authority and the future of this problem
– Kweilin Street: Reality of living under poverty in Hong Kong
Cancellation Policy: Cancellation made at least 8 day(s) before activity date, will charge 50%. Cancellation made during 0 ~ 7 day(s) of activity, Non-refundable (0% refund)
Please note this tour may be cancelled due to the following conditions:
Weather: Tour may be cancelled in the case of a typhoon signal three or a yellow rain signal. Cancellations due to weather will be announced on the website one hour prior to the tour’s start time.
Participants: Tours may be cancelled if fewer than two participants join the tour. In this case cancellation will be announced at the tour’s start time.
Friendly reminder: Please wear a hat or bring an umbrella, and stay hydrated to prevent heatstroke or heat exhaustion.