Discover the Hidden Stories of Hong Kong with our Dark Side of Hong Kong Free Tour
Uncover the naked truth behind the glittering facade of Hong Kong on our Kowloon free tour. Unlike our Hong Kong food and culture tour, this unique experience brings you face to face with the concealed stories of this vibrant metropolis.
While Hong Kong is known as a thriving international finance center, visitors are often only shown the bright side of the city, with popular attractions like The Peak, Victoria Harbour, and Big Buddha taking center stage. But what about the 1.5 million people living in poverty, making Hong Kong one of the most unequal places on earth?
Our tour delves into the heart of Hong Kong’s capitalist system, giving you a first-hand look at the grim reality many of its citizens face. You’ll visit a subdivided unit in one of the city’s poorest districts, providing a stark contrast to the economic prosperity that seems so abundant.
Join us on a journey to see Hong Kong in a more realistic light and gain a deeper understanding of the true stories of its people. Sign up now for a thought-provoking and eye-opening tour.
Local Wet Markets – Visit the Fish Market, Flower Market and Birds Market – Discover how these traditional markets organized themselves in Hong Kong’s Capitalism system and survive under high estate price
Hong Kong’s Wealth Disparities – Take a brief introduction of Hong Kong’s Capitalistic system, see how citizens compete with high living cost
Housing Crisis – Visiting a subdivided unit, how does a Hong Kong family of 4 live in a apartment with only 100 sq. ft.
Starting Time: 2:00 PM
Meeting Point: Outside Mong Kok MTR Station Exit B3 (**NOT Mong Kok EAST Station**)
Find Us: Find a yellow T-shirt/jacket with ‘The Hong Kong Free Tours’
Ending Time & Point: Around 4:00 PM at the Prince Edward Station
Booking: Please book through our reservation system.
**Fee: Tourism is slowly recovering in Hong Kong, we are in the process of restarting free walking tours itineraries. However, to support our operation, we need to run the Hong Kong and Kowloon tours as a PAID tour, and only once per week. For the Hong Kong & Kowloon Tour on Feb 24th, the fee will be HKD 100 per person to join. We apologize for any inconvenience cause, please feel free to contact us for more information.
– Goldfish Market: How the cost of rent on this district becoming so high for public to afford.
– Flower Market: Under all the major industries include finance and trading, how and why does flower market still exists?
– Bird Market: Bird flu is a concern in Hong Kong for its impact on public health. What’s the future of this traditional market and what are the measures to prevent the spread of the disease.
– Boundary Street Sports Centre: Hong Kong has one of the least affordable housing markets in the world. Is it a unsolveable issue under the high property prices and limited available space?
– Portland Street: From tenement houses to skyscrapers, how Hong Kong maintain it’s significant low tax rate by land sale?
– Cedar Street: Visiting a subdivided unit in Prince Edward, offer a glimpse into the reality of the city’s housing crisis.
Registration: Given tourism is not fully recovered in Hong Kong, this tour will only go ahead if there are three or more participants joining the tour. Please ALWAYS register, click the link below to contact our staff and ask for booking information!
Cancellation Policy: Please note this tour may be cancelled due to the following conditions:
Weather: Tour may be cancelled in the case of a typhoon signal three or a yellow rain signal. Cancellations due to weather will be announced on the website one hour prior to the tour’s start time.
Participants: Tours may be cancelled if fewer than three participants join the tour. In this case, cancellation will be communicated to all registered participants.
Friendly reminder: Please wear a hat or bring an umbrella, and stay hydrated to prevent heatstroke or heat exhaustion.