Name(English): Happy Valley Racecourse
Category: Major Attraction
Phone Number: +852 2966 1817
Address(English): Wong Nai Chung Rd, Happy Valley
Address Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/RQLMyFgr7SUA4hYD7
Address longitude and latitude: 22.27228212569429, 114.18070928537249
Nearest MTR Station: Causeway Bay MTR Station
Nearest MTR Station Google Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/sXgg2ejCcVNiC4aX8
Nearest MTR Station longitude and latitude: 22.28041994750354, 114.18503963256724
How far from the nearest MTR Station: 15 drive distance from Causeway Bay MTR Station
WED 17:15 – 23:00 (Sep – mid-July)
Recommended Time to Visit: Wednesday Race Day 19:00-22:00
Accessibility Note: Easy access-elevator provided
What kind of sports do the British love the most? Football? Hunting? Some say it’s horse racing. The British love it so much that they established a racecourse in the first few years they colonized Hong Kong. Since the start of official betting for horse racing in 1891, interest within the community has grown. Wednesday night in Happy Valley is more than betting, it’s also a kind of lifestyle not to be missed, giving “Happy Friday” a little twist.
Come and get involved in one of the most exciting and popular “sports” in Hong Kong, here are some tips for you.
- Races are usually held every Wed night from Sep to mid-Jul. Make sure to check the race schedule on the official website (happywednesday.hkjc.com), esp for special events like Oktorberfest, French Night.
- Enter from the Public Entrance (公眾席) which is located at Entrance G. You can either take a tram or taxi from Causeway Bay to get there. The admission fee is HK$10, come at 7 pm to enjoy a full night.
- Kick starts the night by grabbing a beer and some snacks at the Beer Garden. Enjoy the panoramic view of the racecourse surrounded by a high-rise residential building.
- Horse racing is a sport after all, not pure gambling. Trust your gut and look for the horse with the winning vibe and bet on it at the Parade Ring. There are over 20 types of bet. (Check out with the staff nearby if you are confused, they are all very friendly!) Each bet could be as low as HK$10 and you may wish to wait until the last minute to place the bet to get a better idea of the final odds.
- Here comes the most exciting bit after placing the bet. Choose a spot near the end of the track and cheerlead for your pick, win some cash and redeem it at the betting hall!
Ending at 2300 is too early? You may as well head to Wanchai Red Light District for the Ladies Night, it’s only a 10 min drive away.
Please bear in mind, under 18 are not allowed on race day. But you can still check out the Hong Kong Racing Museum, on 2/F of the stands, to learn more about the history of horse racing in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong Racing Museum:
MON 12:00 – 19:00
TUE 12:00 – 19:00
WED 12:00 – 21:00
THU 12:00 – 19:00
FRI 12:00 – 19:00
SAT 12:00 – 19:00
SUN 12:00 – 19:00
Address: Happy Valley Stand, Happy Valley, Hong Kong Island (15 mins walk from MTR Causeway Bay Station Exit A)
For more details on Hong Kong gambling history, please check this out (https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/english/index.aspx).
#happyvalley #hourseracing #happywednesday #hongkongjockeyclub #causewaybay #wanchai #discoverhongkong #explorehongkong #visithongkong #hongkongtravel #ilovehongkong #hongkongnightlife #hknightlife #hkparty #hongkongparty #timetoparty #partymood #hkevent #attractions #hongkongattractions